Find Your Judge


Frequently Asked Questions

1. When was the Judicial Performance Evaluation Commission established?

The Judicial Performance Evaluation Commission (JPEC) was established by the legislature in 2008.  The 2012 election cycle was the first time JPEC’s evaluation reports were available to the public. JPEC is here to help you know your judges before you vote.

2. Who serves on the Judicial Performance Evaluation Commission?

The Commission consists of 13 members. The Utah Supreme Court and the Governor each appoint four members; the President of the Senate and Speaker of the House of Representatives each appoint two members; and the executive director of the Commission on Criminal and Juvenile Justice also serves on the Commission. No more than seven members may be attorneys. No more than half the members appointed by each branch of government may be of the same political party.The current members of the Commission can be found on the About Us page.

3. Is every judge evaluated?

The Commission will evaluate all judges and justices who stand for retention election in the state. These include Utah Supreme Court justices, Utah Court of Appeals judges, district court judges, juvenile court judges, and both municipal and county justice court judges. The evaluation requirements vary. Federal court judges in Utah are not evaluated by JPEC. For more information on the evaluation requirements, see our Evaluation Process page.

4. Who gets to fill out the survey questionnaires?

Attorneys, jurors, and court staff who have worked with or interacted with each judge standing for retention election will be surveyed. For more information on the survey process, see our Evaluation Process page.

5. Do judges see the individual survey responses?

Judges will not see individual survey response scores submitted by respondents. They will only be able to see the compiled report that combines the results of all returned surveys. That report will include written comments provided by people being surveyed; however, any identifying information in the comments will be removed.

6. How can I get a paper copy of the Voter Information Pamphlet?

If you or someone you know would find a paper Voter Information Pamphlet easier to use than this website, just call the Lt. Governor’s Office at 801-538-1041. Once that office has your address, you should receive a paper pamphlet in the mail before every general election.

7. I feel an attorney is doing a poor job representing me or has done something illegal or unethical. Can the Judicial Performance Evaluation Commission help me?

No, the Commission has no authority over attorneys. If you have a complaint about an attorney, you should contact:
Utah State Bar
645 South 200 East
SLC, UT 84111
Phone: 801-531-9077
Fax: 801-531-0660

8. I would like to evaluate a judge. Can I do that?

If you would like to comment about a judge with whom you have had personal experience, you may submit your public comment online via the public comments page. Your comment must contain your name and address, but your identity will be kept confidential and will not be revealed to the judge.
Comments can also be mailed to:
Utah Judicial Performance Evaluation Commission
Utah State Capitol Complex
Senate Building E-330
P.O. Box 142330
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-2330

9. I think a judge made a number of legal errors in a decision. What can the Judicial Performance Evaluation Commission do about that?

Legal errors may be corrected through the appellate process. The Commission can do nothing to change a judge’s decision. However, you may submit any comments you would like to make about a judge’s performance in a letter or email to the Commission.

10. I think a judge has done something illegal or unethical.  Should I tell the Judicial Performance Evaluation Commission?

If you believe the judge did something illegal or unethical, you may include this information in a public comment. In addition, you should also contact the Judicial Conduct Commission, which has separate responsibility for judicial disciplinary matters. The Judicial Conduct Commission may be contacted online at or by mail at 1385 S. State Street, Suite 143, Salt Lake City, UT, 84115. Phone: (801)468-0021.

11. What are the minimum performance standards for judges?

It depends.  Judges are divided into three types and the evaluation standards vary per type. Review the minimum performance standards for each of the following:  Full evaluation judges, mid level evaluation judges, and basic evaluation judges.